Thursday, November 5, 2009

Example of a Compound - Juba, South Sudan

As I mentioned in my last entry, there are many "compounds" in Juba. The PEPFAR meeting that I've been attending since arrival was held at this compound.



Both compounds and camps are shocking when compared to the homes of some Sudanese. While some Sudanese are living in homes with concrete walls and corrugated tin roofs or mud huts with thatched roofs (and every combination in between), below is an example of the most basic homes I've seen here (as mentioned before with stick frame and plastic/tarp walls and roofs).


It seems highly unlikely that these homes have running water or electricity, and what their source is for drinking water is unknown.

While these living conditions are unheard of in the US, I have seen similar "homes" in most countries I've visited (outside of Europe and Japan).

No comments: