Monday, November 9, 2009

UNICEF Compound

As I have mentioned before, I am here to work on CMMB's first project in Southern Sudan. My two bosses (NYC- and Yambio-based) secured a compound for our office and accommodations in late October. We (Dr. James and myself) will move in after some improvements are made to the latrine, a shower is built, generator purchased, furniture procured, etc. Dr. James says he hopes to be there in one-week. I must say, I am not a believer. Until our compound is prepared we will be staying at the UNICEF compound. The CMMB compound is allegedly 300 meters from here . . . I am going to work out of the World Vision office tomorrow (and probably until our office is ready). Hopefully someone there can show me where our compound is - I am dying of curiosity. In other random news, Dr. James will not be joining me until Tuesday at the soonest, possibly Thursday.

Gate of the UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) compound which is guarded by security guards 24-7. The entire compound is also surrounded by a tall electric fence.

UNICEF/UNHCR (UN Refugee Agency) offices

UNICEF/UNHCR project vehicles
I am assuming that because it is a weekend, all/most are in the carport.

the "mess hall" for the UNICEF compound

backside of the "mess hall" - the fence is the division between the office area and the guest house/accommodations area

This building, known as Kapoeta, has two guest rooms with a shared a common space and bathroom facility - mine is on the right. My housemate is a German gal who is a consultant for World Vision. This building is located in the far back corner of the compound. Generator electricity is available 24/7, tap water is drinkable (I cannot believe this!!), flushing toilet, shower . . . this seems to be the only one that does not have a hot shower, but this is okay with us. The people who do have the hot shower complain that it is scalding hot. The weather is hot enough here that a cold shower is perfect.

The inside of my room.

The area between Kapoeta and the mess hall. Other buildings are other guest rooms.

The cost of staying here includes three meals a day and laundry service. Here are my clothes drying. They also press them before returning - very nice. However, they will not wash underwear or socks since the laundry is done by hand.

All cooking for the compound is done on these three-rock pits and charcoal. Soooo much work! The food is okay, but repetitious. Dinner usually consists of rice, a pasta dish with some ketchup-like sauce, cassava greens, a meat (usually goat), beans, and maybe another veggie (tonight was amazing as we had carrots!). There is also usually some fruit for dessert (very tasty pineapple tonight).

3 comments:

Veronica Wortman said...

I am so sad that I can't post my own image comment here. I have the perfect one.

Veronica Wortman said...

http://annetaintor.com/cart/images/01211.jpg

Molly Jr said...

OMG - that IS perfect! Hmmm, I may have to find something to do with that image!