Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sunscreen, Soap, Security, Stupidity & Snafus

Sunscreen
I reapply it every time before I step outside. All the other "white" people look at me, amused. But funk that - some of those people are my age and look 37. No thank you to a hastened aging process and skin cancer. But, the downside is that it feels gross and my skin is caked in it. Which leads me to the next issue.

Soap
I was told to bring everything with me to South Sudan, except the kitchen sink - and soap. Apparently that is all you can get here. Well, the soap provided by Oasis Camp is Juliet soap, with the appealing tag line "Lingering Freshness." I seriously do not know what they make this stuff out of, but I swear it does not cleanse a thing! It just leaves me smelling like a fake lemon for about five minutes. Between that crap soap and cold water, I haven't felt clean since arriving.

Security & Stupidity
I was invited to a party last night. Stupidly, (or naively, when I am being gentle on myself) I thought I'd easily be able to catch a ride with someone's vehicle (as it would have been in Vietnam), or that someone would have the name and number of a trusted "freelance" taxi driver (as it would have been in Uganda). I at least was not stupid enough to think I could call a cab company. Around 9:30, nothing seemed to be materializing . . . around 10:15 I started to worry and asking around . . . After much discussion with everyone who was still at the house, it was determined that one group of people from an NGO who had a vehicle could give me a ride, even though it was in the complete opposite direction. This was finally determined around 11:30pm, well after the recommended time when you should not be on the road (11pm). Whoops! Just glad no "incident" occurred. I am also relieved I learned this lesson in Juba, which seems to be much more secure than Yambio, at least from what I've heard.

Snafus
Dr. James and I were supposed to head to Yambio tomorrow morning - insha'Allah. The flight is operated by WFP, and apparently the plane is tiny (can take 8 passengers). A passenger must book in advance, but will not know if he/she is on the flight until 5pm the night before departure when the manifest is released. Even then, the flight can be (and often is) canceled last minute due to inclement weather.

On top of all of that, we are waiting for money from headquarters. There are no banks in Yambio, so we must bring cash with us to manage all program costs. So we also could not leave Juba unless the money came. Guess what? The money didn't come - gasp! (yes, I am already being sarcastic about things not working here well/on-time). But instead of waiting here, Dr. James is heading home to Kampala, Uganda to pick up cash. He informed me that I will be heading to Yambio as originally planned tomorrow, without him. He will follow on Monday night/Tuesday. Keep in mind we are currently the only two CMMB staff in South Sudan . . . We have no office/home - we still have to set it up (property has been rented, but we have to furnish it, improve the latrine, build a shower, purchase a generator, etc). So I am heading to some random town in Western Equatoria all by my lonesome. The only thing that is keeping me from completely freaking out is that our partner, World Vision, has been wonderful here in Juba and I have no reason to think their Yambio-based staff will be any different.

Until our office/housing is set up, I'll be staying at the UNICEF compound. There will be wi-fi, except when it goes out. I'll probably be working at the World Vision office there until Dr. James arrives . . . at which point it will be time to get our place ready! As for this weekend, I am hoping to hole up and not communicate with anyone. I have met soooo many people since arriving - it has been wonderful to make contacts and begin friendships here, but I am exhausted!!!

1 comment:

k. rob said...

I love that you have a blog subject of "unbelievable". Seems to me like you've got a handle on South Sudan already :) Safe trip!